LIKE MANY TOWNS, the heart of the area
tends to beat strongest among the liveliest of
locations: downtown. Evergreen is no exception, with locals and visitors alike strolling the
streets to window shop, marvel at the public
art or chat with friends over a cup of coffee—
al fresco. If you’re curious what downtown has
to offer, we’ve gathered some specific ideas
to help you make the most of your time.
1. Listen to live music. You may be surprised by just how much live music (including
bands, individual performers and open mic)
you can find in Evergreen. From restaurants
and bars to breweries and the winery, you
can dance, sing along or just tap your toe
while you chow down.
2. Get pampered. Manicure, pedicure,
facial, massage? Evergreen has them all.
3. Go shopping. There are more than 180
businesses in downtown Evergreen if you
included Meadow Drive and Lakepoint
Center. Whether you’re in search of clothing
and gifts or skateboards and décor, it’s within
4. Learn. Take a stand-up paddleboarding
or sailing class at the lake, get the 411 on
wines or go beyond the downward-facing
dog in a yoga class.
5. Enjoy wildlife and nature. Don’t miss
the Evergreen Nature Center, located in the
historic warming hut on the lake, with animal
and bird displays, including hands-on furs
and antlers that the kids will love. Before you
go, download the Evergreen Lake bird check-list ( evergreenaudubon.org) to take with you.
6. Bike. Pick up a trail to head around the
lake and dam, to a park or to more area trail
heads out of town. See Area Trails on page 47.
7. Satisfy your sweet tooth! Craving
cheesecake? Need to cool down with ice
cream? Feel the need for some fudge?
Downtown is chock-full of goodies!
8. Celebrate! Fireworks, parades, festivals
and an egg decorating contest—there are
year-round events and most are free.
9. Get moving! Hit the batting cages, take a
brisk walk around the lake, strap on your ice
skates or sign up for a Pilates class.
10. Create! Stop by the ceramic studio or
take a painting class.
11. Chow down! Italian, Chinese, vegan,
Barbeque—there’s a surprising number of
global cuisines in Evergreen!
12. Take a tour. On Saturdays you can take a
free horse-drawn trolley ride through down-
town. History buffs can check out the Hiwan
13. Experience art. Evergreen is known for
its many artists, and most offer affordable
jewelry, paintings, sculpture or other pieces
that you can make a part of your home. Don’t
forget the Last Friday Art Walks!
14. Be entertained. Check out the Ever-
green Players, an award-winning nonprofit
theater company, or a performance by the
Evergreen Children’s Chorale.
15. Keep it local! When you shop in downtown Evergreen, your money stays in the
community. In particular, local arts organizations depend on funding from sales tax, so in
a way, when you spend money in Evergreen,
you’re a patron of the arts!
to Spend a